Ad for the 2012 Leonard Cohen Old Ideas World Tour concerts to be held in Ghent on August 12, 14, 15, 17, & 18 with declaration that “Since 2008, Cohen sold 100,000 concert tickets in Belgium.” Originally posted August 10, 2012 at DrHGuy.com, a predecessor of Cohencentric
Video by J.S. Carenza III. Posted Sept 6, 2012
While this app is no longer available, Cohencentric is reposting the Aug 24, 2012 1HeckOfAGuy.com review so that old fans can relive those heady days and newer fans can have a taste of the way it used to be.
Leonard Cohen – There’s An App For That
The Leonard Cohen iPhone app by DKB Productions was released Aug 23, 2012 and is available for installation1 at the App Store. My report on the app’s features based on my test drive of it follows.
Leonard Cohen’s Golden Voice
Opening the app triggers a quote recited by Leonard. The presumptive favorite is the Canadian singer-songwriter murmuring “Hello, Darling.” Other offerings derive from his lyrics, poetry, and interviews, including The Sweetest Little Song from Book of Longing:
You go your way
I’ll go your way too.
The News page appears to be linked to the news page of the official Leonard Cohen site and, is, as can be seen above, fairly limited.
Tour – And Hidden Bonus
- Compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation) and iPad. Requires iOS [↩]
Dominique BOILE sends these scans of a few of the 52 pages of what he describes as “the extraordinary tour program printed on very high quality paper.”
While I am usually not taken with Tour Programs, this 33 cm x 24 cm (12.99 inch x 9.45 inch) program is indeed impressive. Within just these eight images are several elements worthy of special note:
- Exquisite Detail: Check out the fragments of Cohen’s handwriting in the background of the blowup from the cover (Image #2)
- Sticker Shock – of the good sort: Stickers of logos used for The Future album, stickers of Unified Hearts logos, stickers of Cohen’s art, stickers of the Old Ideas album cover elements, … stickers, stickers, stickers. (Image #3)
- Hard To Find Photos: “Hard to find” is code for “I haven’t seen these before,” a description which applies to two photos in Image #4 and one photo in Image #8.
- Dominique Issermmann’s Photos Of Leonard Cohen: What else do I need to say?
- Leonard Cohen’s Handwritten Notes: Image #6 is a page from Cohen’s notes for the lyrics of “Show Me The Place.” I love handwritten notes used to create literary work; you should, too.
Note: Originally posted August 17, 2012 at DrHGuy.com, a predecessor of Cohencentric
I may be wrong, but this is one of the coolest non-LC images I’ve seen this week
I don’t think he’s wrong..
The sign on the tram advertises the August 31, 2012 Leonard Cohen concert in that city. The photo was taken in Gothenburg, Sweden and posted on Instagram by vijinho. Originally posted August 15, 2012 at DrHGuy.com, a predecessor of Cohencentric
With obvious similarities, porkpie hats and fedoras fall into the same genus. Nevertheless, they’re worlds apart. While the former exudes a certain gallant roguishness (see Popeye Doyle), the latter, if worn in earnest (i.e., not you, Joey Jeremiah), radiates class and sophistication (see Leonard Cohen). Earlier this year, Cohen turned 78 years old. He is not your buddy; he’s your man. He exists in rarefied air, and he looks damn natural in a gentleman’s hat.
Opening lines of Leonard Cohen – Air Canada Centre, Toronto, ON, December 4 by Scott Tavener (Exclaim: Dec 5, 2012).
Credit Due Department: Photo by Naomi Bushwoman. Originally posted December 6, 2012 at DrHGuy.com, a predecessor of Cohencentric