Leonard Cohen’s Recurring Revisions Of So Long, Marianne
This is an unexpected but certainly welcomed addition to The Marianne Variations, a series of posts devoted to the major recurring variations of Leonard Cohen’s “So Long, Marianne” that significantly differ from the versions found on the Songs Of Leonard Cohen and Field Commander Cohen albums. An introduction and links to all published posts in this series as well as the inclusion criteria and the original version of “So Long, Marianne” from the Songs Of Leonard Cohen album can be found at The Marianne Variations Summary Page.
Seven Verse Video Version Of So Long, Marianne
This composite video, constructed by AlanM5049 from three videos shot live by Albert Noonan (San Jose: 2009, Zagreb: 2010, Sligo: Aug 1, 2010), showcases all six verses from the the original studio version of So Long, Marianne plus one of the three other verses that have been performed in concert but not released on a recording.
1. Won’t you come over to the window, my little darling (SJ)
2. Oh, you know I really love to live with you (SJ)
3. Oh, we met when we were almost young (Sligo)
4. Oh, your letters say that you’re beside me now (Z)
5. Your eyes, how will I forget your eyes (SJ)
6. For now I need your hidden love (SJ)
7. Oh, you are really such a pretty one & play-out (Z)
The concept is skillfully executed with well-chosen source material and adroit editing. The result is both enlightening and entertaining.
Note: Originally posted Aug 3, 2014 at 1HeckOfAGuy.com, a predecessor of Cohencentric