Leonard Cohen’s You Want It Darker
In Stores October 21St
Album Pre-Order Available Today
Including instant download of single “You Want It Darker”
First Single “You Want It Darker” now available for download
and serviced to radio
(September 21, 2016) Sony Music Entertainment Canada and Columbia Records celebrate Leonard Cohen’s 82nd birthday with the announcement that his 14th studio album, YOU WANT IT DARKER, arrives in stores on October 21st, 2016. The new collection of startling songs was produced by his son Adam Cohen, and is available for pre-order now.
The first single and title track, which delves into an unflinching exploration of the religious mind, arrives at radio today. Cohen created this hypnotic groove with the addition of Montreal’s Cantor Gideon Zelermyer and the Shaar Hashomayim Synagogue Choir, whose voices invoke a sound from Cohen’s youth.
YOU WANT IT DARKER
- “You Want It Darker” Hypnotic groove. The surprise of a great synagogue choir. An unflinching exploration of the religious mind.
Didn’t know I had permission to murder and to maim.
- “Treaty” One of Cohen’s signature melodies. A confession of the selfishness of love and the hope of a correction.
Only one of us was real—and that was me.
- “On the Level” An old man’s take on desire.
I was fighting with temptation, but I didn’t want to win
- “Leaving the Table”A slow, relentless, and somehow joyous ballad of letting it all go by. A guitar solo you will remember.
I’m leaving the table, I’m out of the game.
- “If I Didn’t Have Your Love” A classic Cohen love song: the deep gratitude felt by one heart opening to another.
That’s how broken it would be,
what the world would seem to me,
if I didn’t have your love to make it real.
- “Traveling Light” A seeker hits the road and finds the joys of solitude.
I’m traveling light
It’s au revoir
My once so bright
My fallen star
- “It Seemed the Better Way” The feeling of a prayer that’s been there forever, but the spiritual comforts of the past no longer available.
Lift this glass of blood, try to say the grace.
- “Steer Your Way” A song of courage as the heart moves into the darkness.
Steer your heart past the pain that is far more real than you.
- String Reprise/ Treaty A brilliant reimagining of “Treaty” as a string quartet; a truly glorious moment ending with a few words from Leonard himself.
I wish there was a treaty we could sign.
This great artist continues to astonish us. Uncompromising and urgent, YOU WANT IT DARKER is the latest chapter in Leonard’s significant contribution to contemporary music and thought.
Album pre-order: http://smarturl.it/YWIDalbumDL
Single Download: http://smarturl.it/YWIDsingleDL
Single stream: http://smarturl.it/YWIDsingleSTR
All information available about You Want It Darker by Leonard Cohen is collected and updated at Info & Updates: Leonard Cohen’s You Want It Darker