Asdeguia forwarded a link to a photo that was “in my mail this morning … the subject was ‘L.C. with cigarettes and cell phone.'” The link led to the above photo and the caption, “Ummm Leonard Cohen!!!!!!!!!,” but there was no explanatory information other than “This photo was taken on May 22, 2010 using an Apple iPhone.”
My curiosity piqued, I contacted the owner of the Flickr account hosting the photo. On reviewing the responses to my questions, I decided to post her narrative along with the photo because
- Her story is entertaining
- Fans might be interested in how Leonard Cohen was spending his time while recuperating from his tour-delaying back injury
- I figure folks headed to LA can always use a restaurant recommendation
The Making Of Ummm Leonard Cohen!!!!!!!!!
On a bright,clear, sunshine-filled Saturday this past May, Amanda Kobritz, a Leonard Cohen fan, met with her friend, Darren Rademaker, member of the LA based band The Tyde, a huge (or, more precisely, a HUGE) Leonard Cohen fan, and, not incidentally, the photographer of today’s snapshot of the Canadian singer-songwriter, for a late morning nosh at La Brea Bakery.
It turns out some dude dressed in a dark suit and fedora1 also had a hankering for a bite to eat at La Brea. As Amanda notes,
We were just stunned and totally in awe. I begged Darren to inconspicuously take my photo… and voila! I looked like absolutely crap, but who cares, it’s Leonard Cohen!
DrHGuy: Did you talk to him?
No, I was too shy to talk to him. I just gawked at him and overheard other fans approach him and say, Oh this is my girlfriend, I took her to see you for the first time and it was magical… blah blah blah.
DrHGuy: Can you provide any details – e.g., what he was reading, what he was drinking/eating, … ? And, is that a pack of cigarettes beneath perhaps a notebook on his table?
I don’t recall what he was reading. But he was with a younger guy, a companion of some kind. I was just so impressed with how regal he was: his posture, his swagger, his deep voice. Lots of power in that man and he’s not very big in stature, but oh so big in presence.
And I know that his companion was smoking. I think that’s a phone.
I think he was drinking an Arnold Palmer.2 🙂 La Brea Bakery has the best and free refills too. 😉
Originally posted Sep 17, 2010 at 1HeckOfAGuy.com, a predecessor of Cohencentric
- Thank goodness for the fedora. Otherwise, we would be obligated to distinguish between Leonard Cohen and Horatio Caine (David Caruso), the CSI: Miami character also known to favor dark suits and shirts in blazing sunshine.
OK, without the fedora, Caruso’s red hair might be a clue. That, and the fact that Cohen rarely carries a handgun onto the beach. [↩]
- A drink comprising half iced tea and half lemonade and named for golfer Arnold Palmer. (I am uncertain if footnotes are properly positioned before or after smiley icons.) [↩]