Photos by Edwin Rooseboom. Originally posted Oct 10, 2012 at DrHGuy.com, a predecessor of Cohencentric
This photo was contributed by Jonathon Lipsin, who reports that it is “an unpublished photo of Leonard taken in Berlin in the 70’s by a customer of mine who gave me the photo.”
While I admire pristine images of Leonard Cohen, I admit to being taken with the scratches, blotches, and taped edges that make this photo an imperfect offering of the sort by which, I have been assured, the light gets in.
Originally posted Nov 12, 2013 at DrHGuy.com, a predecessor of Cohencentric
On Aug 6, 2014, the Duchess & I spent a sunny afternoon with Leonard Cohen and his personal assistant, Kezban Özcan, at his home in Los Angeles. Read about that visit at
- Directions To Leonard Cohen’s Home … Then turn right & drive until you see a house with the Lord Byron Of Rock ‘n’ Roll waiting in the front yard
- Lunch At Leonard’s In LA – Leonard Cohen & Kezban Özcan Host Nosh For Duchess & DrHGuy
- Calling On Leonard Cohen & Kezban: The Cat, The Cane, The Conversation
Credit Due Department: Photo atop this post taken by Penny Showalter
Thanks to the unstinting efforts of Véronique Bucchini, we now have a gallery of what has proven to be the rarest of 2012 Leonard Cohen World Tour photos – shots of the Sept 26, 2012 show in Toulon, France.* (Special thanks go to Dominique BOILE, who informed Ms Bucchini of DrHGuy & the quest for photos of the Toulon show.)
Worthy of special note:
- Above Image: This is one of those photos, taken at precisely the right moment from precisely the right perspective that perfectly captures a key aspect of a performance
- Below First Row, Left Image: Sharon Robinson and Leonard Cohen singing side by side is a scene that has been photographed hundreds if not thousands of times. Nonetheless, this specimen seems to render the two collaborators in song in a fresh light.
*Very few photos and videos emerged from the Toulon show, leading the posting of this plea.
Note: Originally posted Oct 3, 2012 at DrHGuy.com, a predecessor of Cohencentric
Oliver Morris, a professional photographer, offers a video featuring his own black and white images of Leonard Cohen, most of which were taken in a small recording studio in lower Manhattan in the mid-1980s, set to an audio recording of Chelsea Hotel #2.1
The photos, as one might expect, are especially acute aesthetically and offer a degree of resolution not typically seen seen in standard cut and paste music videos. In the photo atop this post, for example, note the clearly viewable inscriptions inside Cohen’s guitar and the indentation from the guitar string on his left thumb..
It is a treat.
The video can be viewed at A Series of Sketches: “Chelsea Hotel No. 2” by Leonard Cohen. Photographs by Oliver Morris
Originally posted Aug 6, 2011 at 1HeckOfAGuy.com, a predecessor of Cohencentric
- The audio recording is unidentified but appears to be from the Chelsea Hotel #2 performance at the 1988 San Sebastian concert. [↩]