I continue to be delighted by the images in Sharon Robinson’s On Tour With Leonard Cohen, which Vogue described as “a book of photographs, 92 percent of which were shot on an iPhone, which gives them a curious sense of intimacy, spontaneity, and complicity, echoing, in a way, the particular closeness of Ms. Robinson and Mr. Cohen’s relationship.” Now, most folks buy this book because of the photos featuring Leonard Cohen, but there are other treats: many, many shots of other members of the Unified Heart Touring Company (past and present), family, strangers, local scenes, and the occasional hangers-on who show up at soundcheck in Austin.
- Perhaps the best 2012 Tour photo of Charley Webb I’ve seen
- An outstanding shot of a happy Roscoe Beck
- A pristine, all too rare photo of the usually camouflaged Rafael Gayol
- A closeup of Leonard Cohen performing on Jew’s harp
And He’s Off…
Leonard Cohen in the process of skipping off stage
Originally posted Oct 18, 2012 at DrHGuy.com, a predecessor of Cohencentric
Photos from the July 28, 2010 Leonard Cohen Graz, Austria show by Maja. Originally posted Aug 1, 2010 at 1HeckOfAGuy.com, a predecessor of Cohencentric
Odense: Aug 14, 2010
Video by AllDayShade
Ongoing readers will be unsurprised to discover that when Dominique Boile met Charley and Hattie Webb in Ghent, he came away with not only an autographed CD but also some outstanding photos.
Dominique also provided the following information in response to my queries:
- “The beautiful young blonde woman dressed in black is Maarten’s [Maarten Massa’s] wife [Wenche]. She has given many presents to the Webb Sisters.”
- “In the jar carried by Hattie there is Advocaat met Chocolade, a Ghent specialty.” (Advocaat, according to Wikipedia, is a traditional Dutch rich and creamy liqueur made from eggs, sugar and brandy.)
Originally posted August 16, 2012 at DrHGuy.com, a predecessor of Cohencentric
These compelling shots were taken at the July 9, 2013 Leonard Cohen Lucca concert by Ciarán Dorr. Worthy of special note are the photos of
- Leonard Cohen on guitar (atop this post). Most recent concert photos of Cohen on guitar suffer from the severe stage lighting; this one is impeccable.
- Hattie Webb’s visage captured with unusual delicacy
- Neil Larsen in action on accordion
- Backup singers Charley & Hattie Webb and Sharon Robinson (final photo) looking like the confident, competent women they are
Originally posted July 31, 2013 at DrHGuy.com, a predecessor of Cohencentric