Reviews Of “I’m Your Man -The Life Of Leonard Cohen” by Sylvie Simmons
Yep, Janet Maslin has fallen in line with my own assessment of “I’m Your Man,” the Leonard Cohen biography written by distinguished music journalist, noted ukuleleist, revered rock chick, and erstwhile girls’ teenzine writer1 Sylvie Simmons. Of course, so has every other reviewer. Check it out yourself:
- Sept 18, 2012: “I’m Your Man” By Sylvie Simmons Becomes The Definitive Leonard Cohen Biography – Allan Showalter: Heck Of A Guy/Cohencentric
“I’m Your Man” is a conspicuously, unequivocally marvelous book
- Searching the Soul of a Soulful Singer – Janet Maslin: New York Times
Ms. Simmons’s “I’m Your Man” is the major, soul-searching biography that Leonard Cohen deserves.
- Another Cohen bio? Hallelujah! – Marshall Duke: Paste Magazine
Clearly, we have here more than a simple biography. Simmons’ carefully researched work feels definitive. It can be trusted. Even better, Simmons is a wonderful writer. She describes events with engaging clarity and a command of language that oftentimes enthralls.
- I’m Your Man – Kirkus Reviews
An elegant, deeply researched life of the Canadian musician, poet and novelist.
- Review: Sylvie Simmons’ ‘I’m Your Man’ takes on Leonard Cohen – August Brown: LA Times
Sylvie Simmons’ “I’m Your Man” tries to synthesize all these stories into a new gold standard of Cohen bios.
- ‘I’m Your Man Book’ Review: Tortured Poet Endures, Finds Peace – Chris Haire: Downtown Magazine NYC
Simmons successfully depicts the man’s decades-long exploration of spirituality, God, morality, sex, love, depression, drugs, time, loneliness, poverty, obscurity, art, ellipses, false starts and conclusions.
The US edition of “I’m Your Man” by Sylvie Simmons is available Sept 18, 2012. The Canadian publication date is Oct 23, 2012. In the UK, the release date is Nov 1, 2012, and in The Netherlands, October 16, 2012.
Originally posted Sept 17, 2012 at 1HeckOfAGuy.com, a predecessor of Cohencentric